Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Gift of Fitness

One of my favorite things to listen to is the sound of my father's voice. I have listened to it so long, so intently, over the years that we are as alike in the cadence of our speech as in physical appearance.

I have gained more from his words than the rhythm of language. I've gained knowledge as well, much of it neatly encapsulated in remembered turns of phrase that I imagine he doesn't recall having spoken all those years ago.

"Money is choices" is one quote that stuck with me. Simple. Obvious, once you notice it. Ringing with the force of truth. And, I have come to realize, quite as applicable to fitness as it is to finance.

I once read that fitness is the difference between the most you can do and the least you can do. I like to keep that difference big. Huge. Broad enough to swing me from deep sleep to the oars of a raft sweeping into Crystal Rapid on the Colorado, to the back of a horse forty miles into a mountain race, to the summit of Pike's Peak with bare arms outstretched above the snow.

Fitness, like money, is bought with work. Time. Commitment. Effort. Often we enjoy it, but sometimes we don't. Sometimes, it is just plain hard. The barbell is heavy, the hill is steep, the road is long.

But look what we get in exchange! The embrace of life, my friends. Choices, and the strength to pursue them all.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Tamara, once again you are giving me so much food for thought. It was your write-up on giving aloe to Aaruba that prompted me to try the same on my mare (with amazing results), and now I find myself pouring over this blog, trying to absorb as much as I can on the primal lifestyle. I might be thin-to-normal sized for my height and age, but I'm not healthy at all. I exercise, but I'm not healthy. I eat like crap, and I don't know how to change it. But it HAS to change. I'm exhausted and unwell, and I don't know where to start.
Except maybe here. Reading, and thinking, and trying to figure out how someone like me - who doesn't have a lot of money, immediate access to clean food, or any ability or desire to cook whatsoever - can make a healthy life change. Where did you start, and how? Any good reading you suggest?
No day like today for change.